Monday, April 4, 2011

the show

My Wife and I have been married almost ten years this month. We agree on most things, and disagree on others, as couples always do. It is a rare occasion that we both like the same music, as she is slanted towards 80's alternative and I towards guitar noodling.

We both love the Minneapolis-based Jayhawks, pioneers of alt-country. They have few albums, but the ones they released made a huge mark on the lives of so many songwriters of the 1990's and 2000's. We both love the Jayhawks to the core, and have never had the chance to see them, as the band has gone through breakups, reunions, permutations and a general lapse of 'being around.'
 
There also a newish band that we both love dearly, Band of Horses. Southern-rooted rockers with a beautifully written catalog of songs that will make you both dance and reflect. They are my new musical heroes, and they refresh my belief in the power of rock and roll with each release.

So, both bands are our favorites. Our best-est favorites. If you asked what concert we would love to see, it would probably be these two bands in any order.

I cannot adequately describe the way the planets aligned last Saturday night in our own respective worlds of music. The Jayhawks opened for BoH at a venue not 20 minutes from our home. Both acts brought their absolute A game, and the somewhat smallish crowd was engulfed in a wave of musical beauty and power I will probably never experience again. I was with my best friend at the best show on a beautiful night in our town.

Thanks for saying Yes, babe.